Rootserver Sponsor

webtropia"

Donations

Please support your operating system's further development:

donate"

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
finottiOffline
Post subject: apt full-upgrade?  PostPosted: 19.01.2016, 20:07

Just a minor, quick question: is "apt full-upgrade" a suitable replacement for "apt-get dist-upgrade", as far as our aptosid systems go? Any advantage of one over the other (again, for our case)?

Reply with quote Back to top
DonKultOffline
Post subject: RE: apt full-upgrade?  PostPosted: 16.04.2016, 08:54
Team Member

(Disclaimer: I am part of the team developing these tools in debian)

You have probably figured it out by yourself by now, but for the benefit of proper record keeping: You can use 'apt' and 'apt-get' (and 'apt-cache') interchangeable and neither is destined as a replacement for the other (in terms of that neither will be deprecated/removed). They are designed to use the same code internally, all the difference between them is in some configuration options having a different default value, run "apt-config dump Binary" for a list.

For "apt dist/full-uprade" at the moment the difference boils down to having a progress bar displayed at the bottom of the screen while packages are installed and installed packages are removed from the cache automatically (aka no need for a 'apt-get [auto]clean' anymore) for example.

So, if you can retrain your muscle-memory to save the four '-get' keystrokes feel free to do so. As a bonus you will get some options enabled apt developers deem useful (for interactive use), but can't enable by default in apt-get.

finottiOffline
Post subject: RE: apt full-upgrade?  PostPosted: 16.04.2016, 13:06

Thanks, DonKult, for the informative answer.

Indeed, I have been using "apt full-upgrade" for a while and I haven't had any problems. I just wasn't sure if it would be like "aptitude", which is/was not recommended by the developers.

Jump to: